Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Crane Number 27 and Mindfulness

 I'm at 27, some days that is 5 and other days that is one, or none. Folding a thousand paper cranes always seemed like a hobby for aesthetics or monks, something nice but not very productive. And here I am, wading in. Hopeful. Surprised. There is more to it than I thought.

At first I was just following the directions, making the creases, turning the paper. When I tried without the diagrams I invariably took a wrong turn and backed up. By two dozen I had made almost every mistake possible and found myself knowing. But you still have to pay attention. The minute you let your mind wander to something that might be annoying you or something else you need to be doing, bang, you've a wing where a tail should be and you have to back up. Aha. Now I get the term "mindfulness." Multiply it by a thousand. A thousand pieces of Mindfulness.

Meet 23, 24, 25

No comments:

Post a Comment